Friday, April 22, 2011

BW's Smokin' Barrels Barbecue

5007 Lake Avenue, Blasdell, NY

BW's Barrels is only a few miles from home. I've driven past them numerous times, I've eaten some samples at Taste of Buffalo each year. I finally made it inside 2+ years later. I should have went sooner. It's some seriously good 'cue.

Walking in, it has the usual bbq/western theme going on, and inside is really nothing special...except for the food. I had read the menu over before we went there for dinner and pretty much had the main course all sorted out before I even hit the door. Ordered was:

1 pint Dogfish Head ApriHop
1 cup Brunswick stew (I had no idea what it was beforehand. This was an addition)
1 Barbecue Platter- all the offerin's comin' straight outta the pit.

First, the beer. Prior to their show Brewmasters, I hadn't tried much from Dogfish Head, as I used to hate hate hate hate IPA's. That has since changed and their 60 minute is one of my favorites. Their ApriHop is also really good, with a nice apricot taste to it....get it...it's April which brings apricots and spring which brings easter and rabbits that hop with hops because its an IPA..clever marketing.


The brunswick stew...I had no idea what it was prior. The waitress described it as a "thick tomato meat stew." Well sign me up for a 55 gallon drum delivered to my house! I have no idea what animals were in the stew...but they were all good. I'll say that there was the usual 'cue animals of chicken, pork and beef in there and no extras sometimes found in good southern bbq. It was slightly tangy, very thick, pretty filling, and did I mention really good? A good bowl in the winter (or spring, since it won't stop snowing...) will keep you fed for a bit.


So after getting the cup out of the way, dinner showed up. I found myself with a big ol' pile of meat and a few sides to work through. A quarter chicken next to the beef brisket, next to the ribs, next to the pulled pork in a counter clockwise circle. Mashed sweet potatoes (with cinnamon and butter) and macaroni and cheese (a previous Taste of Buffalo offering) are centered. While again, I'm working with a crappy cell phone photo and poor lighting, the food was done as bbq should be (and not charcoaled as it looks in a way). Best thing on the plate? The ribs- they dropped right off the bone as they should and were not dry in the least. The 'cue sauce on the table was pretty good too. I wouldn't be surprised if people have swiped a squeeze bottle or two for the road.... Worst? There wasn't anything on there that I would call bad, awful or even ok. It was all tasty. Neither the brisket and pulled pork were dry, but both were helped out a bit with a good slathering of sauce.

After putting up a decent fight, I caved in a boxed half the chicken, half the brisket and a bit of pulled pork to go. I have to say that I was slightly disappointed that I couldn't manage to eat the entire plate...I was off my game I guess...as usually I could chow down and eat all that and then some. The only benefit was that I had a really good lunch the next day.

Overall if you're looking for some tasty 'cue in the southtowns area, give BW's a shot.

Nom Nom Nom

No comments:

Post a Comment