Monday, February 14, 2011

Paula's Donuts


380 Kenmore Avenue, Buffalo


Back in my undergrad days, I used to live a few blocks down from Paula's Donuts. Within walking distance to South campus, I used to pass it daily on the way to Dunkin Donuts before class.

Bad move on my part. I missed some valuable donut eating days there.

The shop is often overlooked, on the corner of a plaza. It's small and has the look one would associate with a donut shop that's "been around awhile and not going anywhere anytime soon". I quickly became a regular there, and the staff behind the counter knew the drill: Large coffee, milk, two sugars, a boston creme and a black forest donut. The Boston creme donuts beat anything I ate actually in Boston. Black forest is my personal favorite, although that's a tough pick between the two. (Both are shown below) I did change it up now and again, and have eaten most of the donuts they offer. All are beyond amazingly good.



Unlike your chain coffee/donut place, their donuts are BIG. Tall, fluffy, large perfectly cooked circles of doughnuty goodness. The prices also are basically what you'd pay at a DD or Timmy Ho's, but you will notice the difference in the first bite.

Coming from the kid who used to suck down Krispy Kreme donuts at 7am after being up all night, I'll tell you these beat anything from krispy kreme- with or without a "hot now" light. People say Dickies Donuts or Famous Donuts on main rival it. While I can't speak about Dickies Donuts (yet), I know that Famous Donuts was not even close.

The folks at Paula's donuts get highest honors, 5 noms

NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM

No comments:

Post a Comment